Housing Disrepair Claims

No one deserves to live with disrepair. If your landlord is ignoring complaints about your living conditions, our experienced housing disrepair lawyers might be able to help. As well as getting the disrepair sorted, they will claim compensation for the distress your landlord has caused you and compensation for any damage to your personal property or health.

If your landlord isn’t listening to you, we can help.

Your landlord, in accordance with your tenancy agreement and S11 Landlord & tenant Act 1985, has a legal responsibility to ensure your home is kept in good condition. This obligation relates to exterior issues as well as interior issues.

You can make a housing disrepair claim if there is disrepair to your property and you have reported it to your landlord and they have failed to deal with the disrepair within a reasonable time. Our main focus is to get the repairs done and your living standards to an acceptable level, however we will also claim compensation if the disrepair

  • Made you or someone in your household ill (e.g. from mould/dampness)
  • Damaged your belongings
  • Caused you inconvenience and distress

What evidence should I collect?

  • Have your tenancy agreement ready
  • Keep a diary of the date/s you reported disrepair and a copy of all correspondence and what was said
  • Photographs of the property and what steps you had to take as a result of non-repair (e.g. purchasing new items)
  • A diary of any doctor appointments, your symptoms and any prescriptions or medical receipts, if applicable

Get in touch with an experienced housing repair lawyer who will be able to fight for you and hopefully get your living arrangements sorted and the compensation you deserve.

Click here to start

What To Do If Your Landlord Won't Fix Your Home

Do you have a question about a housing disrepair claim? See our answers below to the most frequently asked questions we're asked. Something you can't find? Don't hesitate to get in touch - our friendly team will be delighted to help.

What is housing disrepair?

Just as the name suggests, housing disrepair is when your home has fallen into an unacceptable condition and your landlord, having been told of the disrepair, fails to repair it. Housing Disrepair can apply to private, council and housing association rental situations.

What rights do I have as a tenant?

Under your tenancy agreement and statutory law you have the right to quiet enjoyment of your property and reasonable living standards and to live comfortably in your home. Your home must be free of hazards or damage. It should not cause your undue stress, inconvenience or harm. You and your belongings should be safe. You should not have to live with disrepair.

What are the obligations of my landlord?

Your landlord is responsible for fixing most things in your property, excluding some smaller issues such as e.g. lightbulbs. This applies to both private, council and housing association landlords.

The landlord must look after:

  • The structure and exterior of the building, including the drains, gutters and external pipes, roof, external doors and windows
  • Keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences
  • Heating and hot water
  • Chimneys and ventilation
  • Gas appliances
  • Electrical wiring
  • Communal parts of the building, such as entrance halls, communal stairways and shared kitchens

If damage to internal decorations are caused by repair problems or arise during the repair process, your landlord must also fix this.

Other important responsibilities of your landlord include:

  • Health hazards, such as damp & mould or pests & vermin. Your home should be free of any hazards that can affect the health and safety of anyone in your household
  • Gas safety. Gas appliances must be safe and inspected each year by a Gas Safe Engineer
  • Electrical appliances must be safe, as well as the electrical wiring in your home
  • Fire safety - there must be smoke alarms on each floor of your home and carbon monoxide detectors in rooms with a coal fire or wood burning stove. All furniture must also meet fire safety regulations

If you have any such problems in your rental home, it is imperative you contact your landlord as soon as possible.

What are my obligations as a tenant?

It is your responsibility to:

  • Use your home in a responsible way
  • Keep it clean
  • Not damage the property and ensure guest’s don’t either
  • Carry out minor maintenance such as changing light bulbs and fuses and replacing smoke alarm batteries
  • Keep chimneys and ventilation free of blockages

The specifics of what you are responsible for will be set out in your tenancy agreement.

Can I claim compensation if my landlord fails to fulfil their obligations?

You can make a claim for compensation if your landlord has failed to repair the disrepair that you have reported to them within a reasonable time or at all - and that disrepair has made somebody in your household ill or injured; damaged your belongings or caused you inconvenience.

What evidence will I need?

Helpful evidence can include: Your tenancy agreement; Copies of any correspondence between you and your landlord about the disrepair; photographs; copies of medical reports; and so forth. Chat to us for more information.

How much compensation can I claim?

This will entirely depend on your individual circumstances. It could range from a few hundred to thousands of pounds. The court will compensate you for the ‘distress, loss of quiet enjoyment, suffering and loss of amenity’ caused by your situation.

How long will my claim take?

Again, this will depend on your case. Get in touch with us for more details.

Is there a time limit on making a claim?

In most cases, you have six years from the point the landlord was made aware of the problem.

How can I begin my housing disrepair claim?

You should get in touch with a solicitor who is experienced in this particular area of law.

Get in touch with an experienced housing repair lawyer who will be able to fight for you and hopefully get your living arrangements sorted and the compensation you deserve.

Click here to start

Need to ask a question?

Submitting this form was unsuccessful. Please correct the errors and try again.
  • {{error}}

By submitting this enquiry you confirm you agree to GWlegal's Privacy & Security Policy and website Terms & Conditions. GWlegal will only contact you in relation to your enquiry and you will NOT be added to our marketing database. Additionally your information will NOT be shared with any third parties - your privacy and security is paramount here at GWlegal.

Thank you for your enquiry

We will contact you shortly.